Re: [LUG] Powering down an unmounted HDD

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:11:43 +0100
M.Blackmore wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, is it possible to power down an unmounted disk on
> its own ide channel (with no swap part active on it) and keep it down
> until it is wanted again?
>
> One I keep in my desktop for "backing up" the home fileserver critical
> files is 'orribly noisy and if I could get it to shut up until I want to
> mount it again...

I've not used it, but there's a utility called "blktool" that would appear to allow
you to put your drive(s) into sleep/standby mode.

Might be worth a look.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.