Re: [LUG] restoring grub or lilo

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:08:16 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had a dual boot. win98 and linux (kanotix) system, since upgrading to
> XP, I can only boot to Linux using a floppy, is there a utility in
> debian thats gui based that can restore grub, I seem to remember one in
> Suse,
>
> I know I can type grub-install hda, but I remember a gui, that gives the
> user a little more control with a more user friendly way of setting
> things up, like which os boots by default, etc.
>
> There seems to be lots of menus, and tools, and also a debian menu
> option, which duplicates most or all of whats on the other part of the
> kde menu,  which is somewhat confusing (especially for total beginners,
> (not me), but I think this can cause problems for people coming from
> windows.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Certainly on my Debian Sid there is an entry for "Lilo-config" under the
Debian->System menu.  It takes ages to load, but it is definitely a GUI lilo config
tool.  There's also a utility called "grubconf", but I haven't installed it (yet).

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.