Re: [LUG] network ands broadband

Will these work in conjunction with a normal network, My set up is upstairs, which at present is a router, hub, which is connected to my main computer, I can also plug my laptop into the hub, so If I bought 2 plugs is it possible to have one plugged in to the mains - hub, one downstairs, to allow network access from their,

That could be useful, as could being able to access the ADSL from anywhere in the house, rather than having to spend lots more money running network cable everywhere, or deal with wireless, which can be insecure if not set up properly.

thanks

Paul

Simon Robert wrote:

Hi LUGS

I know zero about networking and zero about broadband. In preparation to being BB activated on Aug 3 I have bought 3 devolo home plugs, (the thingies that use your electric circuit as a network) and a Thompson Speedtouch 530 "Multiuser Gateway", (or router I think?).

I want to network 1 linux, mandriva 2005, PC, 1 XP PC and the router. So far I can see and access shared directories on the XP pc from the linux box. Also by setting samba mount points to a couple of directories in my /home/... stuff I can see them on the xp pc - under windows network\mdkgroup\localhost, the directories being /photos and /websites but seen by xp as ...\localhost\SIMON_PHOTOS and the samba server as /mnt/SIMON_PHOTOS.

I cannot access the mdkgroup stuff via the xp pc. I get a message about permissions, although I've setup a user who has the same name as the xp user and given her membership of fileshare.

Also the whole thing seems to be unstable. I had to go off for 10 minutes and the linux box no longer sees windows.

I have setup the ethernet connection with a static ID, 169.254.27.03, mask 255.255.0.0 and this seems to work in seeing XP.

The router is now connected to the third plug, but is not visable at all. Though there is no broadband connection as yet.

Is there a really basic guide to this stuff someplace? Do I need anything else for the bb connection, the router has 1 ethernet connection which I intend to connect to the network via the devolo plug, will this work for 2+ pc's?

Any help really appreciated.

Simon