Re: [LUG] network and broadband

On Monday 25 July 2005 6:27 pm, Simon Robert wrote:
> I know zero about networking and zero about broadband. In preparation to
> being BB activated on Aug 3 I have bought 3 devolo home plugs, (the
> thingies that use your electric circuit as a network)

? Do you mean to use the electrical mains as a network?
Always thought those were unreliable and low capacity. Sometimes OK for
telephones but not much else.

Data rates of up to 14 Mbps via the household power supply
http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/spezial/dLANspezial1.html

If you can sustain that, it's equivalent to a v.old ethernet hub whereas most
kit can now cope with 100Mbps on the home network.

> and a Thompson
> Speedtouch 530 "Multiuser Gateway", (or router I think?).

Hey! That's the same as mine. It's a router. Mine only has 1 LAN port but I
simply plug that into a nearby 8port switch and I've got more than enough
ports. I've done it the hard way by drilling through the wall, the floor and
burying the cable in some trunking (not very elegantly) down into the lounge.
I added some genuine network / telephone junction boxes to make it more
usable and all is well.

> So
> far I can see and access shared directories on the XP pc from the linux
> box. Also by setting samba mount points to a couple of directories in my
> /home/... stuff I can see them on the xp pc - under windows
> network\mdkgroup\localhost, the directories being /photos and /websites
> but seen by xp  as ...\localhost\SIMON_PHOTOS and the samba server as
> /mnt/SIMON_PHOTOS.
>
> I cannot access the mdkgroup stuff via the xp pc. I get a message about
> permissions, although I've setup a user who has the same name as the xp
> user and given her membership of fileshare.

Try logging in as that user (use ssh or telnet from the Mandrake box to
itself) and make sure you really can access the files.

> Also the whole thing seems to be unstable. I had to go off for 10
> minutes and the linux box no longer sees windows.

Generally this is still the fault of Windows but most easily solved on Linux.
You can usually sort out such problems by restarting the network daemon on
Linux (not sure what Mandrake uses).

Thereagain, if it's going via the ring main, it could simply be interference.

> I have setup the ethernet connection with a static ID, 169.254.27.03,

> mask 255.255.0.0 and this seems to work in seeing XP.
>
> The router is now connected to the third plug, but is not visable at
> all.

The router should have an IP of it's own, configured through the Javascript
interface, check the manual but it's probably on 192.168.0.1

Routers have 2 IP addresses, the external one (above) and an internal one that
should match the subnet of your local boxes.

What are you using for IP addresses for Mandrake and Windows?

> Though there is no broadband connection as yet.

You should still be able to see 192.168.0.1 from inside the network.

--

Neil Williams