Re: [LUG] Software patent directive is history.

I was in Belper last week and went to see the museum, housed in a
famous cotton mill. They had examples of the machines we all read about
in school, viz the spinning jenny (Hargreaves), the water frame
(Arkwright) and the mule (Crompton). On the wall behind the mule
it said that Crompton did not take out a patent on his invention,
thousands were made, the Industrial Revolution really took off
and Crompton died in poverty. I take it that Hargreaves and Arkwright
prospered. So inventors should be rewarded but not by restricting the
application of the device. Patents inhibited development even in the
18th century and they work now only because firms spend huge sums
looking for the cracks between existing patents. Eg tetracycline didn't
last long before it was overtaken by chlortetracycline, which was a
trivial variant. How to get the balance right though?

Tony Sumner