[LUG] loading kernel modules on demand

I've got a small problem trying to load a scsi module on demand.

I'd expect that given I've got the following entry in /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias scsi-hostadapter advansys

the kernel would then load the advansys module when I try and access a scsi device (the tape device /dev/nst0 in this case), but I get an "unknown device" error until I manually modprobe advansys (which in turn loads the st module).

How do I set this up? What is the alias entry in modprobe.conf for if it's not that?

Cheers,
Alex.