Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS clients?

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:28:43 +0100
Peter Walker wrote:

>  From the debug output I would have said it was running OK, ie. not
> updating if the IP doesn't change.

> >## force an update twice a month (only if you are not using daemon-mode)
> >##
> >#30 23 1,15 * * root    /usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon=0 -syslog -quiet -force
> >## retry failed updates every hour (only if you are not using daemon-mode)
> >##
> >#0 * * * *      root    /usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon=0 -syslog -quiet retry
> >

> Which were the lines you were using? Not the force update every hour?
> I run in daemon mode just with default options with no problems but I
> don't see why the cron version doesn't work. Can you try reenabling the
> crons with -verbose option to see what it is doing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

I had the above two lines uncommented.  I chose not to run in daemon mode because
there'd be nothing to actually trigger an update, so I had to go for cron mode.  The
problem I have is that, as I see it (bear in mind that I have no real experience
with dynamic dns) the 2nd entry is triggered every hour by cron but it won't
actually do anything unless the other (monthly) cron job had previously failed.  So,
basically once a month my ddclient would forcibly try to update my dyndns entry and
then if it failed, try again ever hour.  This would not be helpful for me because I
can't guarantee when my IP would change.  If I need to change a setting on my
primary router (the non-IPCop box) then it'd need to be rebooted, but my IPCop box
wouldn't pick up this reboot and possibly not actually change my dyndns entry for
upto a month!  And obviously, if my IP changes then I won't know what it is in order
to ssh into my IPCop box from College and do a manual ddclient update.

Or am I reading the whole thing wrong?

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.