[LUG] kde print manager and Kanotix

Hi

I have a epson 680 printer, if I use root then escputils works properly and I can obtain ink levels, however using the kde print manager utility, I can't check the ink leve, i know it needs a raw device, it does say permission denied, it does this even if I click administrator mode, enter the root pw, and try again. I can only access a raw device as root,

Is anyone else having similar problems, is there a bug somewhere, or another program that can give ink levels, I did find one somewhere, but can't remember what it was called, kde print manager uses escputils to access the printer, and give user feedback, I am sure there was a very small program somewhere (I think using tcl/tk) that did this.

The other options work, just not checking print ink levels, which to me is more essential than perhaps cleaning print heads, which I can do as a normal user ( somehow this could be open to misuse by some users, over doing it),

Is there a work around.?

Surely something such as this should work as a normal user, I understand it needs access to the raw device etc, try telling that to someone we are trying to conver to Linux.

any comments, it is my set up

Paul