[LUG] OpenOffice betas and SUSE 9.3

Okay, having spent an evening of trying to work something out i figured i'd
share...

I was trying to do something in OO Calc earlier using the 2.0beta whatever
build that comes as stock with SUSE 9.3. After many crashes (also when trying
to check out base) and such, the final straw came when there was no way hose
i could get it to assign a macro to a given keystroke (an unused one
obviously).

I'm no expert and i don't use macros for anything desperately complicated but
seeing as in the DOS world i still favour "brief" for it's macro abilities i
figured i'd rather spend an evening getting my macros working than spend an
evening inserting a blank row every third row in my 400+ row spreadsheet :)

Anyway, long story short, i don't know what SUSE have managed to do to their
bundled copy, or maybe it's not just recent enough but i found that if i
uninstalled that copy and downloaded the vanilla build from OO's website then
all my troubles went away.

Here's what i went through to get there:

I had also noticed that recently, 1.1.3 appeared as an "upgrade" to
2.0preWhatever in YOU but i had avoided that since i've created documents in
the new 2.0 format.

So, before trying anything else i said to hell with it and went with
downgrading OO to 1.1.3. Or so i thought. It went through the motions (inc.
downloading it) but if it installed it i don't know where since it wasn't on
the menus and any integration just called up the flawed 2.0 version. If i
uninstalled the 2.0 version then 1.1.3 still didn't show up in the menus or
anything and i couldn't get to 1.1.3 without having 2.0pre there in the first
place since it deemed it an "upgrade" - phew! What a mess!!

And hence i figured it worth mentioning.

However, getting the newer snapshot on wasn't all plain sailing. It seems that
things need to be installed in a specific order or some symbolic links don't
get created properly.

I forget the EXACT order (sorry, not much use i know!) but i found the order
out by downloading the installer script as well as the RPMs from OO's
website. Trouble is, ultimately i couldn't use that to install the whole
shooting match as when i went to add the suse kde-menu integration it said it
failed dependencies since it didn't know that the main product had been
installed!!!

Wow!

Okay, so.

1. I downloaded the RPMs, installer and uninstaller
2. I ran the installer and installed the RPMs to ~/office (this gave me the
install order)
3. I ran the UNinstaller
4. I added the downloaded RPMs dir to yast as an install source
5. I selected just core01 as a package, this also got quite a few of the other
packages in there.
6. I then followed the rest of the install order and added the rpms through
yast, 1 BY 1 (v. tedious!!).
7. Finally, i added the suse-menu-integration RPM.

This ulitmately got it all installed and working.

And, yes it did fix the macro problem :)

It doesn't look as pretty as the SUSE tailored RPMs, (fonts, icons and general
look and feel) but right now i have something important to do so i'm happy to
go for functionality over looks.

Only thing is, these packages all now appear as locked in YAST. I guess since
it doesn't know where to grab updates for them from? Hence, i seriously hope
that SUSE pick this up and the path get's better by the time 2.0 is out.

I presume i'll just need to keep an eye out for when 2.0 is out and SUSE have
picked it up and done their magic. Then i'll need to uninstall my version,
install the version that came on the DVD, then use YOU to update it. :(

Oh well, hope my mass of typing helps someone out...

Martin.