[LUG] apache web server adding pages as a normal user

Hi

I know this has probably come up before, however this may benefit Tom Arrow.

1.  I have set up apache and my doc root is /var/www/

Now, as I am normally logged in as myself I can't save files to this folder, what is the proper way to allow me to add files, should I add myself to the www (or similar group), So I can then connect my laptop to my destop, point the laptop browser at the desktop ip address, and then it displays whats on that page, so in theory I could plug my desktop in to a network and anyone on that network can access the server (ok I may need a static ip and to hack the apache config files so it's name is /intranet or something.

on a development point of view, I could develop stuff, locally. then move the final set of files, to /var/www/
(this can be done with a simple shell script, run as root under su )

According to the read me user directories are enabled, only I can't find public_html, within my user directory, should I create this,

once I have doen this I take it it's just a case of pointing mozilla at my local public_html directory.

If I want to do as tom is doing, which is to build a intranet server, whats the best way of doing this, clearly I think there should be an easy way to get a directory to store html files along with related support files (cgi, perl, php, java etc)

thanks for any help

Paul