Re: [LUG] A few server problems, squirrelamail

Jeremy Pearson wrote:

We use Squirrelmail (1.4.3a) with the UW-IMAP server here at the school.
We use plain-text logins too, so sounds similar to your setup. It runs on
Debian 3 (woody), on a Dell PowerEdge 1500sc server.

If you'd like me to send you any of our config/setup files I'd be happy to
do so. You can ring me on my mobile too if necessary to go through our
setup - mail me off list for the number.

Many thanks for the offer,

I think i know what the problem is but not how to solve it :-

Its specificly a sarge problem, which is why woody is probably fine.

from some docs related to uw-imapd

"By default, plaintext logins are disabled unless you are using SSL or TLS.
This was done upstream to follow security recommendations by IETF (The Internet
Engineering Task Force).

If you absolutely must use plaintext passwords, you will need to use the
semi-official /etc/c-client.cf"

which is great as /etc/c-client.cf dosn't exist and dosn't seem to be in any packages

CRAM-MD5 looks like a mess, need to manage a separate password file and there are caviats about cram-md5 uses the plaintext login method but hashs the password so if plaintext is off MD5-CRAM is off :-(

Ok so it's SSL/TLS then

........... many many minutes later!

After ages of hacking, it seems that

YOU MUST set the IMAP port to 993, squirrelmail is broken in the respect that turning on TLS then tries to send TLS data to the normal port.s

Robin