[LUG] ripperx and mp3s with no sound

I have just used ripperx to rip a cd to mp3, when I try to play the files I can't hear anything, (using xmms) however when I play a different mp3 file not encoded using ripperx, it plays fine, is there a bug in ripperx or is it with toolame or one of the dependancies, associated with the program,

as an alternative, can anyone recommend a program, that can take cd, grab the track lisd from the cddb track database, and then encode to mp3. Perhaps its the cd, so I will try a different cd, it just seems a strange problem. There is no hardware problems, afaik the cd rips normally with cdex under windows, so thats not the issue.

kanorix 2005-02 (debian sid based)

paul