[LUG] Thursdays Meeting / Debian Questions

Before I forget.

Thanks Paul for arranging Thursdays Meeting. It was good to see the
younger generation taking an interest, as well as old friends. We must
do more to encourage the younger generation yes ?

Having talked to Simon I have had another go at installing Debian. I
dusted off my old Woody disks and this time I did a network install
followed by apt-get update.

I managed to mangle XF86Config enough to get it to work with vesa but
eeek that was not fun, especially as its an ati card (refuses to run
under that driver). So no graphics acceleration for me :-(

Gnome 1.4 looks humm "out of date" compared to say Fedora Core 3's
default desktop. Is this just because woody is stable and therefore not
so cutting edge ?

If I install Sarge instead will Gnome it look nicer ?

I had to configure /etc/aptsources or whatever it was called manually in
order to get openoffice and then only got 1.0.3 for my efforts. So is
there anyway of getting a more up to date version of openoffice via deb
packages ?

Also can anyone tell me how to get a 2.4 (or better still 2.6) kernel up
and running or will I need to get Sarge / Sid for that ?

All that said debian did get me out of trouble with openmcu (since its
packaged (unlike FC 3), but again not the most recent of versions.

I was also impressed with the package management in Debian. It seemed to
be fast and efficient, and just got on with the job. It certainly has
the edge over up2date with respect to elegant operation, however I have
a minor niggle in that it stops and asks questions every now and again.
This is ok, but if you where planning to schedule apt-get update would
this not be problematic ?

So I think for the moment (until I have seen more of Debian) I (from a
personal choice) I will stick with Fedora for Desktop and use Debian for
server stuff.

Tom (The older).