Re: [LUG] Remote X

Working setup:

SUSE 9.3 Desktop PC downstairs as "server".
Windows XP Laptop upstairs in office as "client"

In what sense it is working, what do you have operating?

Okay. PC is obviously a fully functioning SUSE setup. It is my main
personal machine. NX client on the laptop can connect to it (which it does
via ssh although i forget exactly how i got it running - something like
generating a key and copying it to the XP laptop) and either remote
control the existing X Session if i tell it to connect to :0, or get it's
own completely seperate login / session if i tell it to connect to :1

Only issue here is that when it's connected to :0 the cpu on the suse
machine max's out and i don't like running it like that all day so i tend
to just go downstairs, logout from the suse box and then just start a new
session on :1 from upstairs. When remote controlling it is basically using
the KDE remote desktop feature so it maybe something to do with kde that
is sending the cpu to 100%. CPU and SUSE are both AMD 64 versions.

That all works very well (:0 issue aside).

Attempted setup:

GENTOO Desktop PC as headless "server"
Windows XP Laptop upstairs as "client" (same as other client)

Basically trying to remote my 2 home machines from my 1 work laptop.

A workaround could be to run the X clients on the headless through the
Suse box to the XP box.

Okay, that's stretching my imagination somewhat!! You might need to
explain that one a little more...