Re: [LUG] Remote X

Martin White wrote:

So, first things first, can i use this machine to serve up remote X
sessions with xdm/kdm or gdm? I assume i can still.

You could just run the Xclient on the server displaying on your
client (Xserver). I know it's all a bit odd soundingm being the other
way around. That way, you don't need an x thing running on the server
and you don't need to run you own X session on that server either.

You can tunnel using ssh -X (server config change needed) and it all
"just works".

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server:

X11Forwarding no

Will i HAVE to have a mouse and keyboard installed?
Will i HAVE to connect up a monitor et al just to get it configured?

You need none of it.

You just do:

ssh -X user@server command &

Steve