Re: [LUG] User accounts and parking for meeting

PAUL SUTTON wrote:

David Johnson wrote:

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 22:36, PAUL SUTTON wrote:

Either create a new group called music, and add users to that, or do it
some other way.

I have created a new group and added my user id to the user list linked to that group using kuser

I then tried to sort the permissions out, and think i have made an error somewhere. typing chgrp music music

I know something has changed, but what do root music refer to below, I know they are users, but I have so far only changed on of them, I should be able to change it back to root, but what should I have typed.

drwxr-xr-x    2 root music    48 Jun  1 13:34 music

thanks

Paul

What that means is root is the owner of the directory, and the directory is assigned to the music group so far so good. to change owner use "chown" to change group use "chgrp"

The bits at the start are the permissions beaking them down :-

d - directory, well you knew that :-)

rwx - USER (root in this case) has read write and execute permissions on the direcotry

r-x - GROUP as read and execute permissions

r-x - OTHERS have read and execute permissions

to change permisisons use chmod, you can specify the permission as an octal number but it is easer to use the followng u - user, g - group o - others so to give the group write permissions use

chmod g+w music

man chmod for more info

Robin