Re: [LUG] shell programming continuued

I want to try out shell scripting, However I acknowledge that make files are probably the better solution,

As I am working through a book I don't want to keep having to type cc -c etc each time I want to compile a program, at the moment I am just using single program.c files. This may sound lazy however if I get better at programming c I need a way to ensure I can adapt, there is no point getting to the point where I have 2 / 3 source files and still do things the hardway. So I guess starting correctly is the best way forward, it's a shame the book does not introduce make files from the start and then tell you how to compile the program using cc, using as the book uses borland and ms C, and using makefiles, perhaps I need a c programming book that is aimed at Linux users.

If I go for make files, can I simply type make program1, and have it compile then type and ssave the next program as program2. and then just simply type make program2, and have it compile, if I have to rewrite the make file each time then I may as well just use the cc command twice from the command line.

Looking at make files in the book Linux programming by wrox press, page 368, It looks somewhat confusing,

Paul