From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of PAUL SUTTON
Sent: 18 May 2005 19:48
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LUG] installing debian packages

Hi

I am trying to install packages using kanotix (based on debian / sid),
How am I meant to know the package name when installing

for example if i type

apt-get install mplayer  it will install mplayer,  however with other
packages. that I don't know the full name of, how do I install the,

for example

kernel-sources
dependancies for installing the above, (so I can recompile)

I have tried things like
apt-get install openoffce, and it can't find that even though, kanotix
comes with open office.org. installed,  I would prefer to upgrade to
1.1.4 and eventually 2.0,

Clearly a list of all packages would be massive,

Thanks

paul