Re: Virus[es] (was Re: [LUG] Virus scanners??)

On Tue, 3 May 2005 09:15:39 +0100 (BST)
John Palmer wrote:

See http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html
which covers the philological issues quite learnedly.

That was a good read.  I particularly like the way the author can jump from deep
discussion of Latin voices to "Virii is still completely silly, so don't do that;
otherwise, everyone will know you're just a blathering script kiddie." :D

I still prefer the term "virii", although a question should be raised as to whether
"virus" needs a plural at all!  Think about it:
"The word virion or viron is used to refer to a single infective viral particle."
(again, from wikipedia)
If "virion" (or "viron") is a singular, then "virus" could be argued to be the
plural (I know, I know... mass nouns are still singular) in which case "virii" or
"viruses" is not required :D

Grant.

(PS How about we just settle for the term "Windows add-ons")
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.