Re: [LUG] Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editor

On Thursday 28 April 2005 2:33 pm, William Fidell wrote:
Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 18:06, Simon Waters wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced WYSIWYG is even desirable with web technology

Concur.

It is desirable if you happened to be a designer not a coder.  Hand
coding is not the best way to visualise a layout.

True - that is and must remain in the mind of the designer. If you don't
design it, you deserve the end result.

And just because one
uses WYSIWYG doesn't mean that one will produce bad html.

That is in NO sense accurate. There are NO WYSIWYG editors that generate
*valid* HTML that is either compact or efficient.

Validity, judged solely by testing against the W3C requirements, is absolute
and imperative. Validity is not subjective like aesthetics. Without valid
code, your site is simply broken.

I am always teasing the designers I work with for being point and click
merchants, but at the end of the day it is the right tool for them.

If the code produced is not valid, it is not the right tool for anyone.

--

Neil Williams