Re: [LUG] Which licence applies?

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 10:04, Adrian Midgley wrote:
I was thinking in term of FSF having some interest in ensuring that this
term is not abused. Although it isn't clear what rights they have to the
phrase "GNU GPL". Certainly the compliance labs might be able to advise.

http://www.gpl-violations.org/

might take an interest or offer advice...

Thanks guys for the comments. I will reply to bits of various emails here (i'm
sure this is bad netiquette-) )

Did the company distribute this module? Yes, but not the copyright holder. To
my knowledge two (it could be more) *major* suppliers of network hardware
both offer this module build against different kernels on their website
drivers section . The copyright holder is the chipset manufacture not the
network companies.

Unfortunately until recently (before Christmas) when we lost contact with the
chipset company they were very good to us. They gave us chipset documentation
for some of their chips and asked that we keep it to just the developers for
the purpose of writing opensource driver. Which we did. They released code,
eventually made it gpl and when we took over maintainership they even linked
to us from their website. Because of this we have not been keen to press *too
hard* but as time goes on it looks more and more sour. A number of other
events have also happened that make the situation worse that i won't get
into.

It is *good* in some ways that the code is now *out there* in the pool but
with the licence/copyright issues we can't just embrace that code set and
merge it in with the other *similar* drivers to produce a unified chipset
driver, or start banging out bug fixes. Our overall aim is to get our drivers
in the kernel so GPL is pretty essental.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx