Re: [LUG] Problems with USB pen-drive...

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:54:18 +0100 (BST)
Martin White wrote:

If you've nothing much on there to loose would it be worth formatting it
from
within linux? Never tried that so don't know if it would work out or
not...

Please note that the email I sent them was almost identical to the one I
posted here.  Did anyone here mention of me trying to format it?  Pah!

Grant.

Sorry Martin... that should have read "did anyone hear mention of me trying to
format it?".

The email I sent to Kingston didn't mention formatting the device at all, yet the
reply I got clearly starts with "if it's not possible to format it at all"... begs
the question of whether they actually read my email!

As for actually formatting the device - I have tried.  Here's what happens:
I delete and then re-create a partition on the device with fdisk (partition type b
(Win95 FAT32 - the same as on my 64MB key)
The I run this:

# mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sda1
mkfs.vfat 2.10 (22 Sep 2003)
mkfs.vfat: unable to allocate space for FAT image in memory

Now, I would be able to understand this for a device such as /dev/sda1p1 (which
seems to report itself as being 2000 GB!), but not for /dev/sda1 which is only 512
MB.

I am truly stumped.

And yes, I have tried making a Linux partition on there, and no, it doesn't make any
difference.  The problem still stands.  I am keen to keep it as a FAT32 partition
since the main reason I want to use this drive is to take documents from home to
College (work)... and guess what OS they run there!?

Grant.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.