Re: [LUG] Sound Problem

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 08:40, aaron Moore wrote:
I am having trouble with some of my sound apps. ?I can play CDs MP3 with
Alsaplayer and others, but when I try Rosegarden Audacity Ardour, or
Notedit I get the error message-

'Directaccess to sound device not possible.
No soundcard available os sound support not configured yet. However the
application uses or requires sound support'

Erm, just a guess, but maybe AlsaPlayer, etc. are using the ALSA sound system,
whereas Rosegarden etc. are trying to access the sound card directly?  They
won't be able to do that, because ALSA is using it (and only one program can
access the soundcard directly at any one time).

If that is the problem, I can think of three possible solutions.  The most
elegant would be to get Rosegarden etc. to use ALSA (they might have an
output plugin or option somewhere).  The less elegant option would be to stop
ALSA from running.  KDE has a control panel section for it, or type
"/etc/init.d/alsa stop" into a command line.  A slightly nicer bodge is to
set ALSA to give up control of the soundcard after a certain period of
inactivity.

The third option is to use the artsdsp 'wrapper' (eg. type "artsdsp
rosegarden").  This fools the program into thinking it's accessing the sound
card directly, but actually it's talking to the sound system.  I've never had
much luck with this, it always seems to make XMMS crash, but your milage may
vary.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jon