Re: [LUG] Mail server recommendations?

Martin White wrote:
| I'm mulling a few things over at the moment and one of them is perhaps
| installing an imap server that is on 24/7 and configured to collect
mail from
| all my accounts (about 5 or so i think) and then allows me to get them
from
| there.
|
| This would get round the shortfalls in my domain host's email
offerings such
| as no imap and limits on quantity and size of emails, also it appears it
| doesn't properly support unique message ID's on pop3, which could be the
| route of some of my issues with KMail.
|
| Anyway, anyone have any particular suggestions on the good, the bad, etc.
| Doing a search in my portage tree immediately shows me these offerings:
|
| vimap
| uw-imap
| cyrus-imapd (also has admin tools so maybe a good choice?)
| courier-imap
| bincimap

ok, of that lot I have used;

courier, cyrus, uw and dovecot (which you don't have listed)

Depending on what you want to do exactly, depends on what I personally
would recommend.

uw = generally considered messy and horrible.. but its small and fairly
quick

cyrus = powerful, ideal for 'black box' style systems, cryptic config tho

courier = also fairly powerful, can be configured to use a MySQL user
database (as I have done a few times now) and has a nice web config gui.

dovecot = imap and pop3 (does ssl too) in one, any of the above can be
turned on and off..

Of each of them I would recommend either of the latter two.. courier has
an easily maintainable SMTP/POP3/IMAP etc.. service, but may be
overkill. Dovecot (which is in portage) is probably what I would
recommend.. quick and easy to deploy, lightweight and fairly sensable

HTH

Neil Stone