Re: [LUG] how to use perl DBI?

dave morgan <morgad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Thanks to Simon's hint I got trafstats running in the end,
but it is total overkill for what I need. So I thought I would
write my 2nd ever Perl Script. (machine is running Debian/Stable)

my $user = "david";
my $mydb = "ntp-stats";
my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:Pg:$mydb", $user, undef);

$dbh->disconnect;

but all I get is -

DBI->connect(ntp-stats) failed: missing "=" after "ntp-stats" in
connection info string at ./test4.pl line 8
Can't call method "disconnect" on an undefined value at ./test4.pl
line 10.

You are using the wrong syntax, the perl DBI interface for Postgres
is subtly different from the MySQL interface.

Instead use: -

my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:pg:dbname=$mydb", $user, undef) or
 die("Can't open db connection:$!\n");

how do you connect to a Postgresql database?

perldoc DBD::Pg (or indeed any other perldoc page) is your friend ;)

--
James                                   jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

'First things first -- but not necessarily in that order' -- Dr Who