From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
Behalf
Of Julian Hall
Sent: 23 March 2005 00:54
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Re: Perl

Anton Channing wrote:

I find computing CVs frustrating. A bad progammer

can learn every feature of a language by heart and
recite them to a clueless manager/interviewer and
sound impressive, but still be a bad programmer.
=20

Managers, at least in my experience, are almost always clueless of what=20
technical people under them do.

That takes me to an old question of "Which is better to employ, a person =

with a bit of paper that says back when he was in=20
school/college/university he *could* do X Y or Z, or the person without=20
the paper who sits down and *proves* he can?"  Regrettably my=20
ex-employer picked the one with the paper and BS interview technique=20
every time.  Buttt we won't go there :)  The problem is Managers who try =

to tell Technical people how to do their jobs (everyone from programmers =

to network engineers inclusive, and not only IT technical people=20
either).  This example you'll love:

Manager negotiates a contract with a client for them to outsource=20
callcentre ISP technical support to him.  As a condition of the contract =

he agrees to "90% first time fix" and also that if his team fail to hit=20
this three months in a row that a hefty fine will be paid to the client.

Hmm.

10 customers:

1.  Doesn't know the error message
2.  Calls from work, so not at PC
3.  Only one phone line, rings off to check it
4.  Hasn't checked today "but it didn't work last night".

If you're lucky you'll hit 60%.

Needless to say that announcement was met with a) disbelief b) derision=20
c) annoyance; by all technicians concerned.  Oh yes, he then followed=20
this up by handing us the hospital pass of supporting our callers with=20
removing viruses - and there I was thinking Symantec etc did that..=20
silly me.

90% first time fix?  What's that?

A good programmer on the other hand, may not
know by heart every feature of a language, but
can easily look up what they need in a reference,
learn a new language without too much effort.
=20

A good programmer IMHO, as will a good *anything*, knows the structures=20
and logic of the subject, a lot but not all of the details, but knows=20
where to find what he/she wants and how to package the end product in a=20
neat presentable *efficient* manner.  A bad programmer will know the ins =

and outs of a cat's backside about the subject and packages the required =

product in such a convoluted way that the manager finds to their cost=20
that they *have* to keep the idiot on because only he/she can make head=20
or tail of the code!

Simple network related example of this principle:

Friend of mine called in by a taxi firm with two computers networked=20
that wouldn't talk to each other.  He got there and saw:

2 PCs
A router
A hub
Several reels of cable (evidently the muppet who set this circus up=20
thought more was better)

They'd been paying the idiot =A350 per hour.  My friend ripped it all =
out,=20
replaced it with one CAT5 crossover and it worked first time.  It's=20
worked ever since.

Point being, bad practise can make the person indispensable and=20
sometimes they *know* it.

The principles of PHP are pretty much the same
as ASP.

I really do need to start getting my head around PHP, and ASP for that=20
matter :)

 And the way I've started structuring my
code
=20

Sounds in principle how I structure websites.  Mine always have separate =

folders for graphics, html files etc and relational links, so if I move=20
any I don't have to fanny about changing links.

I'm in a temporary contract at the moment, and
its a haven of bad practise.  Spaghetti code, no
code reuse, pathetic security, badly cut and pasted
html.

Sounds like a lot of programmers these days.  My Windows folder=20
currently takes up 2.57Gb of diskspace.  I wouldn't know where to begin=20
to write something that badly that it takes up over 2.5Gb doing=20
something that Windows 98 fitted comfortably into 250Mb!!  Maybe they=20
left all the REMs in? ;)  Granted I wouldn't know where to start writing =

an OS anyway, but the point is that the basic function (giving the user=20
a GUI with which to interface with the hardware) hasn't changed in the=20
period between the two and yet XP takes up 10 times more space.  It=20
could be argued that XP has more bells and whistles than 98.  It could=20
also be argued that if MS wrote efficient code they could make it a heck =

of a lot smaller - assuming Intel weren't paying them to keep it big so=20
they can sell bigger better faster PCs that is.

Oops I forgot <conspiracy_theory> </conspiracy_theory> :)

Kind regards,

Julian