[LUG] Re: Perl

On Monday 21 March 2005 20:51, Aaron Trevena wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:00:04 +0000, Simon Waters

<simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PERL I find really hard to write, it lacks all user defined structures
I'm use to using in programming languages (even C), and tries to replace
them with about 3 structures, and a lot of hope and indirection, which
tends to end up looking like a bunch of brackets, ">" and "$" signs.

Ok. First of its Perl. Anyone calling it PERL has been reading to many
bad 1995 matt wright books.

Also it doesn't lack data structures - it supports entirely arbitary
data structures, classes and class,package,object and other scoped
data. There is no hope involved unless you haven't read even the most
trivial documentation and are copy & pasting what you found on usenet.

I am interested in learning Perl in order to add it
to my cv.  I think it will help progress my career
away from M$ technologies.  One of the primary
reasons I learned PHP and am learning MySQL.

Where would be a good place to start?   Good book?
Good website?

Anton