[LUG] Removing anmaster boot record.

HI
I am tring to rejuvinate an old computer for my daughter, unfortunately she wants
windows.  I have deleted all old linux partitions and done fdisk /mbr a number of
times but I am still unable to fomat the drive prior to loading windows 98.
Formating just stops at around 71%.  In the past I have done this with fdisk /mbr
but this time it just won't have it.  Has anyne got any other methods i can try, or
has the HDD gone up country?
All the best to all

Aaron