[LUG] Multiple screw-ups

Hi everyone.

I installed FC3 last night from some freshly-burned ISOs. I installed
it into a total of three ext3 partitions (/boot, / and /home),
totalling about 75 gigs. Unfortunately, I am experiencing some wierd
and inexplicable failures with connectivity (and migration.)

Firstly, although 'ping www.google.com' works without fault, neither
Firefox (0.10, since I can't update) nor Gaim will connect to the
internet properly. On top of this, up2date crashes when I click
'forward' on launching, and needs killing. Gaim never gets beyond
initial connective procedure, and Firefox (this is one of the wierd
bits) seems to download the source code but rarely gets beyond the
first line of text before stopping and timing out; but when I
right-click and View Page Source the entire source code is there, and
Lynx loads the page fine (although it doesn't get beyond a few files
browsed before timing out as well.

What is wrong with my system? I am using AOL Broadband Gold (which I
cannot change) on a Netgear DG632 router. I have disabled SELinux and
the FC3 firewall, which seems to have been how I got to the above. My
MTU needs to be set to 1400, and it is. The connection is fine on my
Windows system (the same computer.)

Secondly, a number of things worry me:
- How can I import my .gaim folder from /mnt/windows?
- How do I disable PCMCIA probing at boot, along with a lot of other
things I don't use, in order to increase boot speed?
- The scroll wheel of my USB mouse (Labtec M-BR91) doesn't click
properly, although it scrolls.
- How can I determine the horizontal and vertical sync rates of my
monitor in order to use 1152x864 resolution without forcing the
monitor to shut itself off, due to incorrect sync rates?
- Is it possible to have some control over the applications members of
a group can run, and what appears on their screens? (I don't really
want my 8-year-old stepbrother to be able to see the filesystem or his
hidden files, nor have shortcuts to some applications, such as system
configuration utilities or GNUPlot.

I have experienced the same problems in Gentoo, where emerging system
would result in the resolution of IP addresses, but not then being
able to connect to the mirrors.

In short: Help!!! :)
--
~ Ben Goodger