Re: [LUG] MS Locks in UK Schools

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 22:37 +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 19:35, Ben Goodger wrote:
It looks corrupt.

Yeeesss... Isn't everything M$ does corrupt?

No.  Let us not exaggerate.

Im almost too scared to post this considering my last venture commenting
on the Gadget Show stirred up so much but here goes ....

Its more like the usual Microsoft "sharp practise". Currently they are
in "carrot mode", of course the last "stick mode" back fired in the
states and lead to the forking of K12LTSP from the LTSP project. I think
its sad to see key decision making people in our education system are
lining up to praise a situation whereby educational establishments will
find themselves tempted away from free(dom) thinking.

Even so I don't think there is any written rule that says the Schools
can't operate FLOSSIE in parallel. I mean surely Microsoft wouldn't go
that far.... would they ?

There is of course an opportunity for GNU/LUGS to provide support to
their local schools (special or otherwise) and promote FLOSSIE. But then
I have found to my cost that schools have strange ideas when it comes to
someone offering free technical advice. Its that strange law that says
"we paid a lot for it so it must be good" vs. "hes offering us free
independent advice therefore he can't possibly know anything useful"

Tom.

GNU/Linux Price: 0.00 (approx) Value: infinite

From the keyboard of Tom who should know better than to write emails
after midnight.