Re: [LUG] Council Presidency "Adopts" Software Patent Agreement

On Monday 07 March 2005 5:13 pm, Aaron Trevena wrote:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:26:29 -0000, James Wonnacott
<jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've tried to make this point before, but no-one listens:-

The EU and democracy are mutually exclusive.
The only way is OUT!

This isn't the case - the european parliament has been reformed and a
lot of the system did the right thing - the directive even brings the
treaty-controlled EPO under the remit of the European
Council/Parliament.

The alternative to this is far far worse - exactly the backroom deals,
secret treaties, unaccountable power and corruption that we are
fighing in the European Council.

As testament to that, I've posted an open letter from FFII to the Wiki:
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=FFIIPressRelease

(And revealed a bug in the wiki at the same time - the page doesn't show the
edit links because it's too large!)
:-(

I've posted it as my own, like any other part of the Wiki it does not
represent the group - as it clearly says on every Wiki page. These things
normally have a webpage of their own but it wasn't there. If there are strong
objections I don't mind hosting it somewhere else.

The shady corners of the EU where the light of accountability and
democracy fail to reach are getting smaller and if we carry on pushing
they will go.

I hope so - this whole episode isn't so much shady as pitch black!

Rather than giving up, you could contact your MP, MEP and try and
reach people like Lord Sainsbury and Peter Mandelson who are clearly
responsable for failing to act and do their jobs.

There's more to it than that, it's more about the politics of the Presidency
and EU Council but discussions around that DO need to be off-list. (see
below).

The failure here lies with the Tories and Labour for just rubber
stamping bad legislation in europe. You could also blame the UK press
for ignoring the huge news story that this is and focussing on crap
like Charles Wedding, etc.

You can't blame the european parliament or much of the EU infrastructure.

The blame, in my eyes at least, lies neatly at the door of the Council of
Ministers.

I will try to keep the group informed over the next three critical months
(using the software patents pages of the DCGLUG Wiki and alerts to the list
if time is short) before the EP gets it's second reading but if you want to
be more involved, please join me on the FFII mailing list, uk-parl, via the
FFII website.

It can be a high volume list at times; at times of special derision it can be
twice the volume of DCGLUG.

Uk-parl maillist
Subscribe through the project system http://www.ffii.org/assoc/knecht/proj/,

That's the correct forum for all the political machinations, protest
coordination, lobbying, law suits (being considered) and general
up-in-arms-ness (!).

The broad sweep of the directive itself and the problems that *WILL* arise for
GNU/Linux if it is accepted in anything like it's current form are
*definitely* suitable for discussion here.

--

Neil Williams