Re: [LUG] The old I SP problem

On Monday 07 March 2005 1:36 pm, aaron Moore wrote:
Hi
Can anyone recomend and isp that does dial up and broadband and is linux
friendly, perhaps even with a human being on the end of a phone. Am very
disapointed with Virgin.net

Eclipse usually gets recommended here, I would second that.

uklinux.net are another.

Some members are on demon and find that quite suitable - I was too for a
while.

Generally, ISP's don't need to support linux directly. The onus is at this end
to ensure that you have your modem support sorted out (for dial-up) and the
standing advice for broadband is:

BUY A ROUTER! Ignore the modem only option, if it doesn't have an ethernet
port, don't buy it!

Once that's clear, the ISP is really quite secondary for broadband.

I'll just say it again, DO NOT USE AN ADSL MODEM!!!!

Ignore any USB connection, if it doesn't have ethernet, forget it!

--

Neil Williams