Re: [LUG] Destroyed laptop, can anyone help?

Neil Stone wrote:

Robin Cornelius wrote:
| Hi Guys
|
| I've just destroyed the work laptop attempting to shrink the NTFS
| partiton that was taking up the whole disk. So now windows dosn't boot
| (no bad thing in general :-) but it needs fixing ). I used qtpartd on
| knoppix to shrink the partiton by 5 gigs and gtpartd claims it supports
| ntfs so i went for it. After rebooting i just get a "Disk read error
| occured" from bios and the HD will not boot. The recover disks that come
| with the laptop are a joke, they are just a ghost image of factory
| settings so will erase all data on the disk :-(. I have tried booting
| with a XP recovery console and have done a chkdsk, a fixboot and a
| fixmbr (which complains about a non standard mbr everytime) but no
| improvment.
|
| Any ideas how to repair this or do you think I should proced with the
| linux install and see if grub will "sort it all out" as a new master
| boot loader?
|
| Robin

Personally I would boot the system from CD, transfer as much data to
another system as possible (perhaps another hdd) and rebuild from
there... lets face it windows probably would have needed that anyway...

I have reached this conclusion as well. I am having some sillys with SMB access from knoppix that I just can't be bothered to fight and I have a laptop harddrive IDE convertor so I will just spark up the drive dump any important data and rebuild!

Thanks for help everyone!