Re: [LUG] Directory Removal Problem

On Sunday 27 February 2005 9:39 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to remove two directories in my home folder.  Both eachhave 1
subfolder which is *empty* - at least ls shows no content in them.
However they won't go away even when I use 'rmdir
--ignore-fail-on-non-empty'.

rm -rf

or use the -v (verbose) option to rmdir.

Also check ls -a to see if the directory really is empty.

Ideas gratefully received.  BTW I think now I know why it's bad to
install programs to/home

diskspace problems can affect any directory, the only thing against /home is
that other users can't use the installed program. Sometimes this is
intentional.

I think perhaps I'll reinstall
Thunderbird and Firefox in /usr/bin (that is the right place isn't it?)

/usr/local/bin usually for stuff that you install without using a package
manager.

BTW if I do reinstall them, can I cut a corner and just lob the whole
folder for each into /usr/bin or is that bad?

Kind regards,

Julian