Re: [LUG] If this wasn't so dangerous, you'd laugh.

Jon Lawrence wrote:

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 23:44, Neil Williams wrote:

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:14 pm, you wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:
| "The patent was intended to only apply to printhouses but it is

phrased and was

| granted on the CLAIMS and therefore could be used to extract punitive

fees

| wherever a print manager is installed."

It couldn't be used for that purpose, because there was extensive prior
art, and the lawyers would die laughing.

OK, this time it's a print manager, maybe KDE and Gnome would join with the
FSF to fight the case in court - I'm quite sure the holders of the patent
will be able to pay their own lawyers enough that they'll be able to keep a
straight face in court.

What about next time?

What is sad here is a company spent good money paying for a worthless
bit of paper, can't help feeling the legal department was striving to
justify their head count, or some such.

We know it's worthless, they obviously want a return on the 'investment'.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone with enough money made a case against them. As I read it, they've put in place a patent which they probably covers inventions already in place. In effect, they're could give the impression that these inventions are somehow down to something they did - erm if the inventions aren't down to something they did, is this called fraud ??

This is the problem with ALL patents though and what they have all turned in to "if someone with enough money made a case against them".

Patents (of any type) are no longer there to protect the inventor but rather are a litigation tool. If I had enough money I could take a patent like this and attempt to extract money out of smaller companies and individuals that can't afford the legal fees. Or if I had invented something and patented it a large company could simply cripple me with legal fees for me to be able to protect my patent. I think this is a seperate problem to the stupididy of software patents and is another reason why we should NOT have software patents.

Robin