Re: [LUG] Patents and ports

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:14 pm, you wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
| I'm searching for a form of words that confines an invention to a
specific set
| of groups. If a program is to be patented on Windows, I believe that the
| implementation of a compatible or equivalent program on a different
| architecture, operating system, platform or subsystem cannot infringe the
| patent because the process of creating a ported program to an unsupported
| architecture itself involves a new inventive step. In essence:

Nope patents cover ideas, if there were some genuine creative invention
worthy of patenting, then it would be worthy of patenting on all
implementations using the same innovation.

OK, it was worth checking - it's for these workshops on 'technical
contribution'.

How would you define 'technical contribution'?

| This cross-platform, cross-language stuff is ridiculous and completely
| contrary to how software is developed.

Which is precisely why patents are a bad idea in software, but I don't
think trying to find a "more acceptable" patent is the right approach.

I'm not, I'm trying to think through the issues on how you can legally tell
the difference between the various positions in the debate. I believe all
software patents are wrong, but to answer the proponents, I have to have more
than just that, I need to argue back.

I might have to take the role of Devil's Advocate to get a solid argument that
*I* can use against the real advocates.

It may not be the case for "business processes", but then I fail to see
how patenting a business process, assists the greater good, and thus why
the creator should be rewarded. Surely if it is that good an idea he
aleady made his fortune using it in business.

Yet it is precisely the software used for business processes that is being
pushed for exemption as it IS a target for those in favour of software
patents.

--

Neil Williams