Re: [LUG] Linux Laptop

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anton Channing" <achanning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 8:06 PM
Subject: [LUG] Linux Laptop

One of my brothers is looking to get himself
a laptop, mainly for word processing, and so
I suggested he get a linux one.  He is interested.

Hi Anton,

I bought the HP Compaq 3307EA from PC World (
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0738351727.1106771498@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadddjjmdghkcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=191514&category_oid=-15257&fm=0&sm=1&tm=undefined
)

Mandrake 10.0 installed sweet as a nut (dual-boot for the moment with
Windows XP ).  I know others on the list will have their own favourite
distros, as is their right :)  However for a newbie such as your brother I
think MDK10 would be the fastest and easiest conversion to Linux.  After he
is converted you can slip Debian on while he's not looking *g*

I don't have any PCMCIA cards myself to test that functionality, but the
rest including USB (which played silly sods in XP) worked first time.

£650 for an AthlonXP-M 3000+ (well the full spec is on the website :)).  I
personally don't think the price can be beaten for the specification *and*
build quality and after sales support :)  AFAIK it's only available until
Jan 28th at this price though.

I would say steer clear of Sony.  Overpriced junk.  Their so-called
"technical support" are totally useless, and were borderline - no they
*were* - insulting when I emailed them with a problem I had.  Several times
so it wasn't just one person having a bad day.

Oh and a friend of mine spends most days reinstalling - or more accurately
fixing - Packard Bell PCs other people bought at Christmas, all from PC
World.  Maybe a bad batch, but..... I'd steer clear of that brand too :)

Anyway, I'm sure there are other opinions :)

Kind regards,

Julian