[LUG] Fwd: Software patents: Restarting the process

Dear UK-Based Supporters of NoSoftwarePatents.com:

Poland has once again delayed a decision in the EU
Council as you may have heard.  However, there is no realistic
chance that the Council would renegotiate its position.

The basic decision whether software patents get legalized in
the EU or not will be taken next week, on February 2nd and 3rd.

If JURI (the legal affairs committee of the European Parliament)
decides to restart the entire process, then our opponents will
be hard-pressed to ever again build a qualified Council majority
in favor of software patents.  If, however, the process continues,
then we will hardly be able to win a 2nd reading in the
European Parliament due to extremely high majority requirements.

You can make the difference now.  Unfortunately, the three
largest UK parties (Tories, Labour, LibDems) are pro-patent,
at least in the European Parliament.  However, some of their
MEPs seem more moderate than others.

Please read the following press release:
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314
(There is a special section on UK MEPs.)

Also, please take a look at the following document:
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/docs/050124guide.pdf
(It provides you with a lot of information on how to
contact MEPs and ask them for their help now.)

We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  However,
we also have to act very quickly. Judgment day will be next week.

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Florian Mueller
Campaign Manager, www.NoSoftwarePatents.com

It seems to be an all or nothing, winner takes it all, scenario.

Those who have written to their MEP before, please write again.

We only have SEVEN days.

--

Neil Williams