RE: [LUG] What IS an operating system ?

Title: RE: [LUG] What IS an operating system ?

Linus T. would never have produced Linux without gcc.
FSF deserves our respect for the work they do, but not all *free* tools, or those run on Linux, are GNU by any means, e.g. Perl and Python.

We use Linux kernel as a base to run stuff on, but that is not exclusively GNU.
Many questions on the dclug list concern device drivers, a continual issue for many OS's.  So far as I know GNU do not produce these, and they could be described as part of the kernel/OS (a grey area though).  In the short time I have been observing, the majority of questions on this list are not about FSF/GNU products.

Clive

http://www.star.net.uk