Re: [LUG] Distros

Farseerenterprises, www.farseerenterprises.com

On this just like to say that he e-mailed me and asked me to make it clear that he wants to offer a choice of operating system.

Paul

Richard Brown wrote:

Hi

We recently had a thread trying to establish what distro a computer shop should use. I think the shop was called Farpoint.

Anyway, what I thought I would do is feedback on the use of Lindows 4.5.

I have to say that I have never had a distribution install so effortlessly and then run without a hickup. Everything just worked. It detected the network card and went on-line without any configuration necessary. When I put a dvd into the dvd drive it opened a web browser and took me to the Lindows web site. The site then informed me that should I wish to play a dvd I would have to download the dvd player. It informed me of all the costs involved. It really was effortless.

As you all know I then took a 'power user' approach and ran apt-get and synaptic. I have installed mplayer and have played a dvd. There were a few hiccups involved but not really the sort of hiccup I would have expected.

I have not used Linux for nearly a year and have recently invested time and energy into getting a debian, Red Hat 9 and Fedora 3 install to work. Using all these distros has taken a lot of time and effort and I have not got to the position I have wanted to get to.

I will shortly be buying Libranet and trying this distro out. Apparently it is a little more friendly to 'power users' and allows me freedom in the apt-get department.

Given the findings of above I would say that Linux is ready for the desktop. Lindows was easy to use and can be bought by resellers and sold on.

I will report on Libranet findings as and when.

Rich

P.S. Sorry about the use of the words power user - I know I'm not I just wasn't sure how to describe what I was doing!