Re: [LUG] Sending a Fax

On Saturday 01 January 2005 10:56 am, Mike Tidball wrote:
I have then tried sending it via kdeprintfax.
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/fax: No such file or directory

You also appear not to have installed the fax protocol so even if your
modem supports it, it cannot be enabled.

How do i install Fax Protocol,It does not appear in Yast's list of packages

efax or gfax - search your list of packages for one that
installs /usr/bin/fax. With rpm you can output a list of all packages and
their files then use grep.

man rpm
man grep

Install efax or gfax - make sure you are installing a fax SENDER
application, not a fax VIEWER application like kfax.

Not available on the cd's I'll have to search the net.

efax and gfax are Debian packages - you'll have to compile from source if SuSE
hasn't included them. Search SuSE's website for fax information, or google
for gfax (gfax is the GNU fax sender so it should be supported).

I am using Suse 9.2 and have gone into yast and searched and installed
everything available to do with faxing,

Not if /usr/bin/fax doesn't exist - you've missed something.

I've checked in yast again and everything that comes with the distro's
in there

Without /usr/bin/fax, you cannot expect anything to work via a fax protocol.
Something has to provide the data stream and if it's not /usr/bin/fax you'll
have to find another program and tell kprintfax where to find it.

You can't do this via GUI tools, you'll have to find out how to do it yourself
from the command line.

--

Neil Williams