Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises

I asked and got a mixed result, (as you would expect), I think either fedore or Mandrake are a good bet for beginners or one of the distributions based on Debian as these are easier to maintain if the user has ADSL as with debian you run one program to update and it pretty much does it on it's own from there on

I would ensure you have hardware thats fully compatable first, I have finally got Nvidia graphics working with suse 9.1, (just updated to 9.2 so need to reconfigure), but I don't really need nvidia graphics apart from games.

What sort of market are you aiming these at, home users, or as servers, web, mail, etc, samba, nntp, or whatever as for these the a normal nvidia card works fine, even without the proper drivers, as you don't really need 3d accelaration on a web server.

I would probably go for fedora core 3 for server type stuff, and mandrake for desktop,

Paul

Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

My friend who runs farseerenterprises (www.farseerenterprises.com)in torbay wants to produce a line of PC's running Linux.

He was thinking of Linspire, and asked me if it was suitable (Not having used it I am unsure) However I said that Mandrake was good for beginners,
What do people think, I also said that it really depends on the user. So what do people think would be a good idea. I have fecora core 3 from the Linux magazine cover dvd, however this is currently with the technician at the college. I guess what version of Linux you use depends on the user, and what he / she wants to use Linux for.

Paul

PAIGNTON RUGBY CLUB ARE LOOKING FOR SPONSORS.

Options include Ball, and match sponsorship, Team Sponsorship
and advertising banners which last the whole season (September - May 1st)

Please visit. www.paigntonrugby.co.uk - click sponsorship for details.

Linux -

Free your mind, save money, Use Linux and open source. Open source, don't get left in the dark ages, migrate now.
www.linux.org