Re: [LUG] apache perl cgi question

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:12:04 -0000, "Darke, Clive"
<Clive.darke@xxxxxx> wrote:

Dave,

Broken Pipe is raised when a process writing to a pipe 'looses' the reader
process.  Most likely one of the sort's is writing more data than head
wants.  For example, if head wants 10 lines and then finishes, what does
sort do with the rest?

With a bit more work you might be able to do away with the sort as well,
although that might not be worth the effort.

Clive

Given that the page is not *that* dynamic, I think I will re-write as
shell script+awk and put it in /etc/cron.hourly to regenerate a static
version of page.

The eventual aim anyway was to compare the ratio of 'count' to 'first'
and automatically add entries to my iptables firewall to drop traffic
from people sending over 100 queries an hour in general, and
especially those sending one query per second!

Dave
--
http://www.morgad.no-ip.info/index.html    gpg:0x64B5E037
Distributed Proofreaders: http://www.pgdp.net