Re: [LUG] A debian diary

On Sunday 14 November 2004 6:22 pm, Matt Lee wrote:
The one thing with Debian is that you can only realistically install
the base
system at a meeting unless you have a fast internet connection.

That's why Simon created a Debian mirror for the Debian masterclass -
it
requires a large amount of space and cannot be replicated as a stack of
DVD's!

I will happily bring the mirror along.

matt

Aha, that sounds useful. I thought it was a temporary thing, how long would it
take to update? Standard network access presumably, so could we run a Debian
install meeting now WITHOUT an internet connection at all?

How big is it now? What's involved in using it at a meeting - just power and
Cat5+hub?

It wouldn't need to be up to the minute, we'd just need to add a section on
how to use the mirror and how to revert to the main Debian mirrors after the
meeting - just a few lines on how to modify the sources list. Then new users
can run apt-get update at home.

Then we'd need a few copies of the installer CDR, some floppies or USB sticks
or whatever to run parted or other partition tools and advance warning if
someone is bringing a Mac etc. to get the right installer burnt to CDR, or
someone could designate their laptop as a source for a network install,
directed at the mirror.

--

Neil Williams