Re: [LUG] A debian diary

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:12:27AM +0000, Richard Brown wrote:

1. I have a Broadband connection through a Netgear. What I would like
to do is to do an install over ftp. So what do I have to download first
to make a boot disk?

I started on a PC that has Red Hat running and of course ftp via a Netgear
834 ADLS router. You can get the basic installer from

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/pre-rc2/sarge-i386-netinst.iso

I have only just got a CD writer and I found cdrecord totally opaque so
I copied the file to the Windows partition and wrote it with Nero (easy!).
Then I connected the P2 machine to the router with an ethernet cable,
set the PC to boot from CDROM and that's about it. The PC has two HDs, one
with Windows and the other had nothing on it at all.

2. Then what next? You seem to load kdm first and then realise ...

Yes. I thought that like Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake, etc, I would get X
and KDE (or Gnome) as part of the install.  SIlly me -- but I was
trying to keep complaints out of the diary (it was an effort). No, once
you have the basic system, log in as root, d/l the package list from
ftp.uk.debian.org and apt-get what you want, eg xserver, kdm, kde, etc.
What you fancy. Maybe with cdrtoaster I will be able to burn CDs, eh?
Can't say yet because I don't have X working. I tried 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86' but it still won't work.

Can I install a 160 gig hard drive at a later
date or do I need to do it immediately?

I don't know. While I write this someone will have answered the
question. I think you just plug it in and create a file system with
mke2fs /dev/hdb, no?

Good luck

Tony Sumner