[LUG] ISDN Trouble - Hardware maybe

Argh..... I hate ISDN....

Okay after working pretty much flawlessly for 6 months since setting up
the new computer my ISDN connection died 00:05 on Friday morning after
being up continuously for 20 days.

BT Home Highway, BT Terminal Adaptor, AnyTime, Debian testing.

So far I have established:

I can login to Demon Internet using analogue phone technology.

If I try to connect to 0844 digital numbers at Demon it barfs before
connecting to the remote server. "NO CARRIER"

If I try to connect to 0845 digital numbers I see what looks like a
normal login attempt with expect (I use analogue modem emulation for
ISDN), except the login fails (Login Incorrect). Except it appears to
receive the normal prompts "Login:", "Password:", but never a
"Protocol:" as it fails before here, appears to send the correct
missed part of the Login or Password.

Attempts to connect to uk2 failed after Login, but wasn't clear if this
was configuration issue, as they seem to do a different authentication
method (if any).

BT Report the lines are okay here, and to Demon.

Demon report they don't support Linux <sigh>.

At this point I figure I need to try swapping out hardware, and software
to isolate the problem to one or the other - clues on how best to do
this welcome.

In particular....

I have a USB socket on the home highway device, does anyone know how to
configure an ST_5841 (eek I can see me installing Win98 on the laptop to
try the USB Windows drivers for the HH box, to verify if it works - save
me from this, the ST_5481 is the USB Terminal Adaptor in the Home
Highway boxes - not recommended by BT but hey it is there!) to work in
Analogue emulation mode? At the moment when I plug the USB socket in, I
get USB diagnostics (and can load the st_5841 driver and get something
vaguely sensible - but no idea how to related this to a device file I
can feed to ppp).

Anyone got a working....
ISDN line on their BT home highway box?
Old style PCI Speedway terminal adaptor?
External ISDN router?
..any one of the above very handy if I could borrow, or use in-situ.

I vaguely recall finding where dpkg/apt logs it's software updates to
once before, anyone recall where it is logged, so I can check no
relevant software got patched in the intervening 20 days since the
previous reboot.

Can you copy any replies to the "disposable" email address
ace-hat-11@xxxxxxxxxxxx as without my regular spam filtering I suspect
Demon's webmail will be totally unusuable. Or better yet phone me if
you have my number.