Re: [LUG] external usb 2.0 3.5" hard disk enclosure

I have found one possible supplier www.allcam.biz but theirs are listed as compatible with Mac OS 8.6.  I have just spoken to their tech staff and they use a Tene 802 chipset.

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 09:11, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:51:46 +0100
Kelly Jones <kellyjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> does anyone use an external usb 2.0 hard disk enclosue with Linux?
> I have FC2 and my current usb 2.0 external hard disk locks up under
> Linux (works fine in windoze).
>
> It seems this is due to a bug in the chipset which the Windoze driver
> has been coded to work around. I am looking to replace it soon and want
> to make sure that what i purchase will support my Linux kernel.
>
> Best Regards
> Kelly Jones

I don't use an 'enclosure', but I do have a USB2 --> ATAPI adapter that works flawlessly under both 2.4 and 2.6, regardless of whether it's using a 1.1 or a 2.0 port.  I tend to find (although this could be co-incidence) that products marked to work under MacOSX in native mode (as opposed to 'classic' mode) work fine under Linux.

Of course, if you have a little time on your hands (ie you're not waiting on the drive and need it _now_) then you could email the manufacturers for technical specs (most importantly the chipset used) and find out which will work OK that way.

Good luck.

--
Grant Sewell