From: "Keith Abraham" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "list@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free
Date: 10-18-04 15:45

Somewhat off topic but I think it's an important point.

I often note in this thread a tendancy to think of words
as denoting objects (whether physical or abstract).
Until the last century this has been a source of confusion
in philosophy for many thousands of years.

The meaning of words is in their use.
It's a far to difficult a subject to explain in an email
but perhaps a few hours reading Wittgenstein's
"Philosophical Investigations" or Austin's "How to do things
with Words' might benefit. (Don't be put off by the latter's
title as it's actually a profound piece of work.)

I'm afraid it's a little bit like giving up smoking or going
'cold turkey' but once you realise what is being said in
these works you'll find it hard to make the same mistake
again.

Keith
--
A Linux System
SuSE 9.0 on ECS KS5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, 20GB Maxtor HD