[LUG] GNU/Linux partition tools for Mac hard drives

OK, mu iBook G4 has 12Gb of available space and I want to allocate 8Gb of that
to GNU/Linux Debian as a genuine PPC install, dual boot.

(I'm fed up of not having the usual tools available via OSX but don't want to
ditch OSX completely.)

I haven't got the Mac OSX CDROM - I've only got a rescue disc that doesn't
include the partition tools in a form that can be used when the disc is
unmounted (i.e. when booted from the rescue disc).

I have got two Debian install CD's, the pre-rc2:
(for powerpc)
and
http://seb.france.free.fr/linux/ibookG4/iBookG4-howto.html
http://penguinppc.org/~eb/files/boot-new-powermac-xfs.iso

pre-rc2 allows me to use free space already available or wipe OSX off the
system completely.

xfs allows me more control but uses cryptic commands that don't offer any help
or assistance. It doesn't, e.g., show how an existing partition should be
resized.

Is it possible to resize an existing OSX install with GNU/Linux tools?

The howto seems to recommend blitzing the drive and re-installed OSX. This
isn't really open to me, unless I can find a genuine OSX install CD.

Hey ho, I thought I'd left all this pre-installed rescue only rubbish behind!

Maybe I will give Debian the full 30Gb. OSX does seem to take a HUGE amount of
space for no reason. It's a 14Gb install - Debian fits in well under 4Gb,
even with X.

--

Neil Williams