Re: [LUG] Blueyonder Broadband

On Thursday 07 Oct 2004 20:58, Julian Hall wrote:

If Blueyonder want to know the NIC's MAC address that's up to them, but my
system works fine with the near identical cablemodem attached to my router
via Ethernet, and all ntl: wanted to know was the *modem* MAC address.
Consider if you changed your NIC for some reason, and/or you only had one
PC and didn't want to waste money on a router you don't need.  If you had
given the NIC's MAC to the ISP you'd have to ring them and give the new
one.

Incidentally, why/how would Blueyonder have a MAC address on record for the
account anyway if it had previously been a dialup or is a new account?  Do
they supply the modems as part of the package?  If they do that would
explain why they don't need to ask for it, but to say a cablemodem on
Ethernet doesn't have a MAC address is I'm sorry, wrong.

Assuming Blueyonder have not changed their MO since they installed my
broadband kit last year:-
Blueyonder supply and install the cable modem and, if left to their own
devices will connect it to your windows box via usb cable.  You can request a
NIC connection on the application form, but if you do you will still have to
watch for the installer bringing out the usb cable and remind him of your
preference!

Blueyonder require that you tell them the MAC address of the NIC which
connects to the cable modem, and no I don't know why and I don't know if it
still works if you don't. I registered every card in the house just to save
trouble if I started swapping cards or if one died. You can register up to 6
and do it online if you want.

My home setup now looks like:
Smoothwall Box (eth0) -> Cable modem.  ip address by dhcp from blueyonder
Smoothwall box (eth1) -> any other machine in the house via switch, ip
addresses from dhcp server on smoothwall box.

Tony